Saliva as chemosensory communication in humans

Darol Joseff, M.D. djoseff at rain.org
Mon May 5 00:16:14 EST 1997

In article <Pine.ULT.3.95q.970504135124.24160C-100000 at essex.UCHSC.edu>,
Teresa Binstock <binstoct at essex.UCHSC.edu> wrote:
[snipped]

Just surfing along with a pyschologist friend, and I noticed your
interesting post. Tangentially, but perhaps of interest to you, I just
attended a lecture by an allergist who indicated that cat allergy has been
localized to a specific glycoprotein in cat saliva which provokes an
allergic response in sensitized humans. Rather than dander, inhalent
allergens, etc the source of cat allergy is this protein which is spread
on the fur with preening. One corollary is that this can be immunized
against. Which raises interesting questions along your thesis. I think we
should get working on cloning the specific human proteins immediately. It
will put Calvin Klein to shame.

All the best,

Darol Joseff, M.D.                                      djoseff at rain.org
230 W. Pueblo Street
Santa Barbara, CA 93105
voice 805 682 2541, or fax 805 682 1429
Internal Medicine and Nephrology

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." G. Marx

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read." G. Marx