brain (fwd)

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun May 11 00:11:29 EST 1997

	CORRECTION!

	IN MY HASTE AND FATIGUE I STARTED TO WRITE "ASSUME",
	STARTED TO REFRAME USING "NEGLECT THE POSSIBILITY"
	BUT NEGLECTED TO RECONSTRUCT THE SENTENCE	!

	I intended to say that the arrogance of ignorance is to
	assume that those whose views seem "narrow" to them lack
      the broad experience and open mind they smugly assume themselves
	to have; they neglect the possibility that these "narrow" people
	have had even broader experience, and have had time to think
	on it more deeply than they, eventually discarding what the naive
	assume they have not yet discovered.

	n.b.: I think this correction is somewhat better expressed than
	the one I (apparently) was unsuccessful in transmitting.

In article <5l4nhk$jt8 at dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>,
	flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote:
>I am one who HAS studied more than neuroscience.  I was a philosophy
>major at Kenyon College (before most of you were born).  I read and
>write poetry.  I was a  boy preacher (Methodist).  etc. etc.
>
>Snow wrote about the two cultures.  It is my experience that the
>average scientist knows far more about the humanities than the average
>humanist knows about the sciences.  Or, more precisely, about SCIENCE,
>i.e. the revolutiary way of thinking and achieving achievable (valid)
>answers which very few (including many psych majors to whom I tried to
>teach Experimental Psych, or at least the rudiments of the experimental
>method).
>
>The arrogance of the ignorant is to

 neglect the possibility

	(MEANT TO SAY "ASSUME")

that these "narrow" people lack the imagination or broad experience to see what they see.  My own experience is that all you have thought I have