We keep asking for Congressional Hearings,brain tumors:aspartame

ParsleyPatch at juno.com ParsleyPatch at juno.com
Wed May 14 08:21:34 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SUN.3.95.970508150643.12860e-100000 at noel.pd.org>,
  Betty Martini <betty at noel.pd.org> wrote:
> My son, 6 days 21, 11/24/95, was diagnosed with a brain

tumor, later to be identified as oligodendroglioma.  Being blessed with a
closness to Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, He had "gross total
resection", Jan 26, 1996; after first having surgery 1/22/96 to place a
grid on his brain so that it could be "mapped" which allowed aggressive
resection. No physical or verbal therapy were needed following surgery.
Given the choice of stopping his dilantin he did so early, stating that
the risk would be the same no matter when, so he would take that risk
sooner than later..  Almost one year to the day of his first seizure, we
were  informed the remaining tumor was growing - 11/96.  Christmas Eve
'96, he started the first of 33 sessions of radiation, finishing 2/10/97,
never missing a day of work during this treatment, and except for the
last week he worked  (often 10-hour) full days.  MRI report 4/22/97 the
tumor is well defined, and did NOT enhance (Thank-You, God)  The hair
loss is quickly re-growing. and through all this he has maintained such a
positive attitude he is my inspiration - even receiving a promotion in
his job, which was started 4/96 (after BTS* brain tumor surgery). Plans
for a career in law enforcement have been put aside for the time being,
but I would never hint or suggest that he might forget those plans
entirely.  With his baseball cap in place, you would never guess that he
has a tumor, specially as you watch him go through his ti classes or
riding his 450 ATV.  (my, how my views have changed since 11/95! always
before a 4-wheeler was too dangerous!)	My prayer - that on the inside he
is as certain and positive as he puts forth, and somehow, I think and
believe  HE IS!  (Yes, he too was a heavy drinker of diet drink -
Mountain Dew his favorite - although I am not as committed as you that
this is the cause of a tumor.)	Good luck to you.