How to talk to a dementia patient?

Frank Logullo frank.logullo at dol.net
Tue May 13 17:46:23 EST 1997

Father has multi infarct dementia and lives in nursing home.  He constantly
talks about buying a new car or house and I tell him that he is not capable of
driving or living without constant observation and help.  I noticed that other
visitors to nursing home essentially tell white lies to their parent and
others with dementia/alzheimers.  I'm curious as to what it is best to tell
these poor folks.  Any comments?

Frank