How to talk to a dementia patient?

Joe Chamberlain spinal at voicenet.com
Thu May 15 05:19:12 EST 1997

	Don't TELL them anything.  Listen.  Ask questions.  What kind of
car? What color?  What year?  What make?  Where would be the best place to
buy.   The longer they can hold a particular train of thought the better.
Meet them where they are in their thought patterns and go along, it is not
gonna hurt and it might be a nice trip down memory lane for you both.

	My Aunt died a few years ago and we shared some interesting
stories about my childhood and other stuff.  Some true and some just
foolish dreams of an old lady.

	Hope this helps.