prolapsed Intervertebral Disc

Prerna & Pankaj pjains at pacbell.net
Wed May 14 21:13:56 EST 1997

This is about my father's case who is 50 years old. He is in India. The
medical community in my home town is of different opinions which has left
us confused. We would appreciate if people could share with us, what
treatment has worked with them and inform us on pros and cons of different
treatments as well as make suggestions.

My father has always been very active till just a few days back when he had
this problem which is described as Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc (between
L5 and S1),because of pressing of root nerve of S1 as a result of which
there is weakness in defecation, urination and in reproductive region i.e.
proper pressure can not be exerted.

At first he was recommended immediate surgery, but there was some
improvement with bed rest, so surgery is deferred for 15 days to see if
there is further improvement with rest. Are there any alternatives to
surgery? what are the risks in surgery.
Some other doctors suggest the opposite of rest or surgery. They suggest
him to get back to his job (physical work).

I am enclosing his doctor's report.

A)  c/o (  problem  concern  of) :  HYPOAESTHESIA  IN  PERINEAL  &
PERIANAL  REGION( SEDDLE  REGION)   FOR  ONE  MONTH.` FEELING  OF WEEKNESS
IN  DEFAECETION  AND  MICTURITION ( PROPER  PRESSURE  COULDN'T  BE  EXERTED
 )

B)  on  clinical  examination ` NOTHING  SIGNIFICANT  EXCEPT
HYPOAESTHSIASIS  IN  SEDDLE  REGION.

C)  investigation  done ` 1)  SMALL  ANNULAR  TEAR  AT  L5-S1  WITH BULGING
 OF  DISC.
2)  LARGE  POSTERIOR  CENTRAL  EXTRUSION OF DISC  WITH  SEVERE  CENTRAL
SPINAL  CANAL  STENOSIS .

1) &  2)  are  the  result  of  the study  of  the  MRI ( magnetic
resonance  imaging) of  LUMBO-SACRAL  SPINE.
    X-RAY   OF  LOWER  SPINE   DISC  SPACE  BETWEEN  L5  &  S1  REDUCED

Please reply as soon as possible. I am just a little worried because we
don't know what is the right thing to do.