brain (fwd) My mistake? Regrets!

cmspecht at acsu.buffalo.edu cmspecht at acsu.buffalo.edu
Fri May 16 08:34:19 EST 1997

On 16 May 1997, F. Frank LeFever wrote:
> As regards "examples of...ignorance": if a gracious acceptance of
> criticism had been the intent, then this must surely have seemed
> ungracious of me to rub it in.  However, it shouldn't be taken entirely
> personally: my comments on the "examples" were intended to make some
> general points about the history of this sort of problem.

dear dr. lefever,

thank you.

please let me clarify that when i stated, "point well taken, (*both
times*),", i merely meant before *and* after your correction.  (i.e. i
knew you were speaking of me).

i appreciate your insight.

my problem with all of this thread is that it went from criticism to
criticism to criticism while accomplishing nothing as to any discussion
of consiousness. after all, my very brief original post did not
harm the person to whom i was responding, and gave them some direction to
learn about the mind-body problem, which has puzzled many disciplines for
centuries and has not been without some progress.

the problem with the definition of consciousness it correctly noted by you
as perhaps the biggest problem with any theory.  but that is for
discussion and criticism of the field, not of myself.

nevertheless, i maintain that consciousness is a real phenomenon.  and
well defined or not, i simply state(d) that it is currently under
scientific scruitny.

this was in reply to a person who said it can't be studied scientifically.
while it is true that it can't be defined in an operational manner to
which we all agree, it is being studied.  also, whether some of us care to
include philosophers in such discussion, it is also worth noting that
there are many prominent philosophers who agree perfectly with eugene
(most notably perhaps is Colin McGinn of Rutgers).

> Perhaps in my next post I can make a more constructive contribution by
> describing some of the problems posed for definitions of consciousness
> posed by some of the phenomena of split-brain patients, and by some of
> the dissociations of parallel processing--including some I have seen,
> in Deep Dyslexia, for example, and in a case of Proposagnosia.
>
> Frank LeFever
> New York Neuropsychology Group

i would be interested in this.

sincerely,