Na Currents-Electrophys

elis elis at helix.nih.gov
Fri May 16 15:34:03 EST 1997

Michael Johnson wrote:

> We're trying to set up a system for recording Na currents using
> whole cell recordings in response to various CNS drugs on human
> neuroblastoma cell lines.
>   At present we are having great difficulty adequately compensating for
> the capacitative and resistive effects of cell and electrode in spite
> of  coating our electrodes and using lower resistance electrodes. We
> would be most interested in finding out what others have used in terms
> of precise electrode type, electrode morphology, coating, and any other
> tricks to improve recording quality.
> Thanks.
>
> michael.johnson at m.cc.utah.edu

I dont work on Na currents but we speed recording by a) ensuring that
the cells are round (you might have to dissociate and re-plate if there
are processes) and make sure the external solution is as low as possible
- that effectively reduces the area of the capacitor.  Going to a
chamber in which a coverslip is perfused with minimal solution is a big
help since you do not have to worry about evaporation.  Finally, lower
the external Na (use nmethyl-d-glucamine) so that the current is
smaller!

I hope this is of some use.
Good luck!
Elis