hypocalcemia tetany

scott boston wboston at saluki-mail.fiber2.siu.edu
Sat May 17 20:49:10 EST 1997

Hello, I am a first year med student looking for some help understanding
tetany induced by hypocalcemia.  I am not sure if this is the right
newsgroup or not, but I am having a hard time finding a mechanism and
understanding how low Ca in the blood can cause tetany.  A couple of
fellow students have suggested that Ca inhibits the Na channels, and
thus low Ca allows increased neural firing, but they did not have any
good idea how this would work.
Thanks for any help, you can reply by e-mail or to the group.

SCOTT BOSTON