alpha waves

Dag Stenberg stenberg at cc.Helsinki.FI
Sun May 18 05:05:05 EST 1997

In bionet.neuroscience Curt Siffert <siffert at shell.> wrote:
>     I have (at least, this is what I think it is, I'm not trained)
>     extremely high-amplitude alpha waves even when my eyes are closed
>     and I'm trying to relax?
>     I'm not approaching this wondering if alpha has some kind of
>     paranormal benefit, I just want to know what they mean.  The
>     point is that the machine tracks my "dominant frequency" and
>     I never seem to get beyond alpha.  The clinician tells me that
>     it's playing a major part in why I can't focus at work, why I
>     have problems with lapses in attention spans and times where I
>     "check out" and go vacant, and why I have major mental blocks
>     when trying to be creative.

I received this posting only today (while I have seen several of the
answers previously). This starts to get intriguing. What do you mean
by "getting beyond alpha"? Or rather, what does the "clinician" mean
by "getting beyond alpha"?

Dag Stenberg
Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at cc.helsinki.fi
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: int.+358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: int.+358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland
        X.400:   /C=FI/A=FUMAIL/P=INET/O=HELSINKI/OU=CC/S=STENBERG/