What exactly does "skin conductance" measure??

J.N.Browndyke cogito at premier.net
Tue May 20 12:08:02 EST 1997

When considering EDA as an index for sympathetic arousal, one needs to
make the distinction between skin conductance and skin resistance.
These two measures are not wholly equivalent - resistance (measured in
KOhms) is the measure of resistance of a current passing from one
electrode to another (typically the volar surface of the arm or
mid-phalange of the index and middle fingers); whereas, conductance
(measured in microSiemens) is the level of current total from one
electrode to the next.  From what I understand, resistance is a better
measure and can be converted to conductance if needed.

Email me if you would like a reference list related to the subject.

Sincerely,
J.N.Browndyke

Jeffrey N. Browndyke, M.A.
Ph.D. Student in Medical/Clinical Psychology
Louisiana State University	Email: cogito at premier.net
Department of Psychology	Fax: (504) 388-4125
236 Audubon Hall		URL: http://www.premier.net/~cogito
Baton Rouge, LA. 70803

*Neuropsychology Central  -  http://www.premier.net/~cogito/neuropsy.html
*Online Neuropsychology Project - http://www.premier.net/~cogito/project/onp.html