Glial Energy Metabolism?

JValla jvalla at mail.utexas.edu
Tue May 20 15:47:05 EST 1997

Question:  What stages of metabolism do glial cells (particularly astrocytes)
utilize to produce energy for themselves?  Are they primarily glycolytic
(anaerobic) or do they utilize oxygen in oxidative phosphorylation?  Do they
use the electron transport chain at all?  And do these things change during
development or other "special cases?"

The sources I've found suggest that the glia are anaerobic; I've searched for
info on this myself with limited success and I'm about to examine some texts,
but I thought I'd asked here if anyone's partial to glia.  Citations would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J. Valla