Facial pain?

J. A. Kiernan jkiernan at panther.uwo.ca
Wed May 21 09:55:18 EST 1997

In article <Lk+QDCA0vqgzEw2+ at bnclib.demon.co.uk> Diane Pritchatt <diane at bnclib.demon.co.uk> writes:

There was a paper by Peter Nathan, in Brain 10-15 years ago, about
facial pain in pilots during the 2nd World War. The symptom was associated
with prior dental extractions on the same side, and occurred only when
the extractions had been done with general anaesthesia or no anaesthetic
at all. Extractions done with local anaesthetic were not followed by
facial pain associated with decompression, and Nathan interpreted this
as some kind of "memory" of pain signals that reached the brain stem
when the teeth were pulled. The "recall" was triggered by low pressure,
which stimulates other branches of the trigeminal nerve, presumably in
the paranasal sinuses.

Sorry I can't provide the reference, but I didn't write it down at
the time.
                                     John A. Kiernan
                                     Department of Anatomy
                                     Univ. of Western Ontario