cryonics

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon May 26 13:59:36 EST 1997

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Dave wrote:

> When someone is cryonicly frozen upon death to be saved for the future

Cryonics is not "freezing". Most current suspension protocols involve
vitrification.

> to (somehow) revive then, do they have a chance?  I know that the

A chance which is probably not zero. No one knows exactly how large.
Explicit nanoressurection is impossible without Drexlerian nanotechnology
(mechanosynthesis, machine-phase chemistry). No one currently knows
whether the latter is feasible. In any case the patient (official lingo
for corpsicle) must be considered a bluepause, not what must be
reconstructed verbatim.

> actual neurons are destroyed by the freezing, but isn't  there still

"Destroyed" is inaccurate. There is widespread damage on all scales, from
molecular, to macroscopic. I think optical, and EM images of vitrified
brain tissue are available.  Ask around on the usenet newsgroup
sci.cryonics (to be soon moderated).  Appropriate discussion forum for
Drexlerian flavour of nanotechnology is sci.nanotech (also moderated).

> recorded evidence of exactly the way the brain was orginized?

So far, whether enough reformation is retained, and which degree of
conservation is needed to reconstruct a particular person is still a
cypher.

This newsgroup is not the appropriate forum for discussion of such matters.

> dave

ciao,
'gene