Quantum Microtubules?

Kevin Spencer kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu
Tue May 27 11:12:09 EST 1997

holson at california.com (Howard Olson) writes:

>Simon Schultz <simon.schultz at psy.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>>cyphree at mail.comcat.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Colleagues,
>>>
>>> Is quantum mechanics responsible for memory functions?  Is this
>>> occurring in the microtubles.  Is there credible research in this area?
>>> Who are the leaders in this field and where can I get more information?

No, no, no, and go read an introductory book on neuroscience.

>>> Your help is greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> Doug

>>The answer is no.

>Despite the dogmatic statement above. Check with  mathematicians and
>physicists, not mere psychologists.

What do mathematicians and physicists know of psychology, much less
neuroscience?

>Dr. Roger Penrose of Oxford has written a fascinating book :

>SHADOWS OF THE MIND

Which should be subtitled, "The Arrogance of a Physicist".

>He discusses quantum aspects of microtubules therein....

Ah yes... Dr. Penrose has reached that stage in his career where he
can come up with ludicrous ideas about things of which he knows little,
and yet impress people.  People who know less than he does, that is.

Kevin
Kevin Spencer
Cognitive Psychophysiology Laboratory
Dept. of Psychology and Beckman Institute
kspencer at s.psych.uiuc.edu