Encephalitis and anterograde amnesia

abstract at silcon.com abstract at silcon.com
Mon May 26 20:40:55 EST 1997

My wife had what doctor diagnosed as encephalitis. (It was somewhat
puzzling for the doctors since all tests, spinal tab, MRI, all turned up
negatives.) She was hospitalized for 5 weeks. It's been 2 and 1/2 month
since she was hospitalized. She is ok except recurring seizures and
anterograde amnesia. She is improving slowly in these departments.

What I would like to know is if the anterograde amnesia is likely to be
a permanent condition? Our neuropsychologist told us that the symptons
indicates damages to the hippocampus which are irreversible. Our
neurologist was not certain about this. Any opion is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Alex Hwang