mere psychologists

Richard Hall rhall at uvi.edu
Tue May 27 16:49:46 EST 1997

jameswoodson writes:
>"Mere psychologists" are the scientists best known for bringing behavior,
>including memory storage, retrieval, consolidation, acquisition and
>extinction into the realm of science in the first place, and are often the
>only individuals left who bring their research BACK to behavior in the end!

rlh:

I favor ethologists because they include elements of evolutionary biology
in their models.  Psychology strikes me as an interesting discipline
working almost exclusively with mammalian models...white males, white rats,
and a few great apes.  The really interesting questions seem to be related
to how an earthworm might organize its' awareness of the world compared
with a perch, a sparrow, an octopus.  Frankly, I have no clue as to how we
might approach such problems, but then again remember we are combining the
heavens for signs of intelligent life when we have problems deciding who is
intelligent on earth...

rlh

Richard Hall
Comparative Animal Physiologist