Bicuculline and muscimol---GABA

matt wachowiak mattw at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Thu May 29 03:55:59 EST 1997

Tim Hays wrote:

> Does anyone know how long Bicuculline or muscimol can stay frozen in
> deionized water without significant degredation?  Also, do these
> substances dissolve into a water "easily"?  Thanks in advance
> for any help!
> --
> _____________________________________

Bicucculine is not very soluble in water, but bicucculine methiodide
is. If you do manage to get bicucculine into solution and freeze it it
wil most likely come out of solution upon thawing. Muscimol is freely
soluble and can be stored for long periods without significant
degradation. That is my experienece at least.

Matt

Matt Wachowiak
Dept. Mol. Cell Biol.
UC Berkeley