mere psychologists

Anthonie Muller awjm at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Wed May 28 10:28:06 EST 1997

On 27 May 1997, Richard Hall wrote:

  The really interesting questions seem to be related
> to how an earthworm might organize its' awareness of the world compared
> with a perch, a sparrow, an octopus.  Frankly, I have no clue as to how we
> might approach such problems, but then again remember we are combining the
> heavens for signs of intelligent life when we have problems deciding who is
> intelligent on earth...
>
> rlh
>
> Richard Hall

Hi Richard

I agree with you.

I have seen on television how octopuses communicate by skin color
changes during their mating swims. As the capability of communication
implies a message, and the message in this case is quite complex, it
follows that octopusses must be intelligent, with intelligence defined for
this purpose as the ability to generate complex meaningful messages. The
problem is however that we cannot listen to them yet. For extraterrestrial
life the same may be true. A search for extraterrestrial intelligent life
should start with a search for intelligent life on earth.

Anthonie Muller

The Thermosynthesis Home Page
http://www.ed.ac.uk/~awjm