Help Needed.

jfjoubert jfjoubert at videotron.ca
Mon Nov 10 14:16:45 EST 1997

I would like to know where research on neural networks from a biological
point of view is active because I seek a collaboration for a doctoral
thesis on neural networks but from a linguistic point of view.

   My readings in neuroscience, although still lacking, have provoked me to
think that many of the assumptions associated with most of today¹s
linguistic models need to be challenged. For example the very common place
idea that syntax must be described using a binary model (seemingly
Œbecause¹ syntactic rules are stored in the brain), or the idea that human
language and computer language are fundamentally similar and thus,
disturbingly, must be configured by an Œexternal programmer¹ which is often
identified as the DNA code or genome. I believe that these assumptions are
tenuous at best and that current research in neural networks will support
my view.

   Any reference given is appreciated, thank you for your time
Jean-François Joubert, M.A. ling.
 jfjoubert at videotron.ca