Neuro-anthropology?

uhs0403 at ohsu.edu uhs0403 at ohsu.edu
Tue Nov 11 16:53:27 EST 1997

>> > I'm thinking of entering the field of neuroscience with a
>> > slight twist...  I'd like to explore ways in which physiological
>> > psychology might be able to shed light on social phenomena (hence,
>> > my posting to sci.anthropology rather than bionet.neuroscience).
>> > Has this sort of approach been tried, and, if so, can anyone provide
>>
>> > some good references?

There is a literature in what is called cognitive anthropology. The take here
is to examine cognitive function, say navigation, and see how it is
implemented in a social system, like the crew of a ship. The thinking here is
that social systems can at least be viewed as computational systems where each
individual is a functional unit of the system. In addition the field utilizes
anthropological methods of field observation, rather than experiment. Guy by
the name of Hutchinson has written the better studies.