machine brains

Oliver Sparrow ohgs at chatham.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 04:20:39 EST 1997

 "ray scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> wrote:

>There is a fundamental split in the approaches to designing a machine
>that can think, shall I take the mind or the brain as my model?

Yes. Both.

Complicated things are explored in bits. Explorers go up the great rivers. Administrators
set up by the sea. Later, geologists and anthropologists dig for deep structure. The
understanding of cognition is close to the European understanding of the geography of
Africa, circa 1600. We sail round it. We have a few ports of call. Slaves, gold and ivory
emerge mysteriously from it. Adventurous minds write fiction about it, adventurous souls
make trips into its interior, sometimes understanding some of what they see. But the
makers of maps and the provisioners of ships lay the grounds for the future.