machine brains

Lsp ls204 at hszk.bme.hu
Wed Nov 12 11:47:17 EST 1997

On 11 Nov 1997, ray scanlon wrote:

> I would
> say it should be more fruitful to view the neural net as a passive
> filter that does not manipulate or process anything. There is no
> information present, no data packages, no labeled lines, no affective
> computation, no agent. If  I must anthropomorphize then I will see
> things from the point of view of the neuron--Pulses come in and pulses
> go out, the neuron lives in a 'Chinese Room.'
>
> email: rscanlon at wsg.net

Alright, but that wouldn't solve anything. That is the whole point of the
AI, whether you like the connectionist or the symbolic approach, the
secret lies in the connections of these basic units, no matter they
are neurons or symbols.
It would be just as you wrote: a single neuron in a "Chinese Room", but that
means a single neuron not being capable of consciousness.

"Death is not a bug, it's a feature" | Einstein's theory of relativity   |
"If you have any complaints or suggestions about  | very poor excuse for |
 this world, send e-mail to god at heaven.gov "      | being late           |