machine brains

Oliver Sparrow ohgs at chatham.demon.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 03:20:24 EST 1997

 "ray scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> wrote:

>Sorry Oliver, that was just a rhetorical question, I have already opted
>for the brain. You do spin such lovely tales though.

True tales, too: it really is *both*.

>Your having a second go at the Himalayas puts me in mind of a couple I
>knew (both deceased).

Add table rapping to the tools to be deployed? However, actually seventeenth Himalayan
trip, begod: a new orchid species discovered, warm feelings all round.

To get relevant, a striking thing that assorted mountaineers have described (and I
experienced on the Bolivian border with Peru) is the capacity to ambush the mind when it
is working. Most describe it as seeing a city from the air, an array of clocks setting
each other's time: my own experience was of immensely complex, modular things feeding each
other... well, whatever they were feeding. The theme crops up in high altitude art, from
the Andes to the Himalayas, when you know what to look for. Doubtless a common symptom of
anoxia in the drowsy mind, one does get a glimpse of something in the mirror.