machine brains

Louis Savain savainl at
Thu Nov 13 12:40:11 EST 1997

In article <64e14a$elu at>, rickert at (Neil
Rickert) wrote:

>In <01bcefc9$33b20160$e67a61ce at asdf> "ray scanlon" <rscanlon at> writes:
>>Neil Rickert <rickert at> wrote in article
>><64a8qu$abu at>...
>>> In <01bceec8$7cb77900$fd7a61ce at asdf> "ray scanlon" <rscanlon at>
>>What is needed is the ability to generalize, the ability to clear off
>>some trees so we may have a clear view of the forest.
>But I think you have made it very difficult to generalize by
>insisting on a bottom up neural net methodology.

  I may be misinterpreting your message but isn't it the top down
approach that makes it difficult to generalize?  Doesn't approaching
the problem using simple components much more in keeping with general
emergent behavior?

Louis Savain

President, Marengo Media, Inc.