Fear and Fear Assessment

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at freenet.Victoria.BC.CA
Fri Nov 14 16:08:10 EST 1997

In the ng sci.psychology.theory, Bruce Bayley asks about fear:

> Hello,
> I'm a graduate student at the University of Utah, Family Ecology
> program.  I am looking for the following information:

> 1)  Any theories or theoritical structures on fear and it's causes.
> 2)  Any currently accepted methods of quantitatively testing levels of
> fear.
> 3)  Journal articles discussing fear and or it's assessment.

> My main focus is on children K-12.
> Any help you can gvie me would be greatly appreciated.
> I can be contacted at this e-mail address or at
> K.Bayley at m.cc.utah.edu

> Thank you for your time.
> Bruce Bayley

http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ Mentifex AI and files in archive at
http://www.newciv.org/Mentifex/ offer a theory that explains fear:

  Hearing    Vision    Concepts Volition Emotion   Motor Output
 /iiiiiii\  /!i!i!i!\                             /YYYYYYYYYYYY\
| ||||||| || ||||||| |   T                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| || | ___ | |   +                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  /   \  |   +                       | |S|||||||||| |
| ||||||| || <image>-|-->+_                      | |H|||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  \___/  |  /  \                     | |A|||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||         | <idea>               __   | |K|||||||||| |
| | ||||| ||         |  \__/-------------->/  \  | |E|||R|||||| |
| |d<-----||---------|---+        ____    <fear>-|->*|||U|||||| |
| ||||o|| ||         |   +------>/    \<---\__/  | |||||N|||P|| |
| ||g|||| ||         |   +      / de-  \---------|----->*|||E|| |
| || |||| ||         |   +     <  ci-   >        | |||||||||T|| |
| ||||||| ||         |   +      \ sion /---------|--------->*|| |
| ||||||| ||         |   +       \____/          | |||||||||||| |

In the commonly not yet falsified, ergo Standard AI Model of Mind
now reverberating over the AI Web Matrix, fear and other emotions
are explained as a physiological "warping" or "twisting" of other-
wise purely logical truth-structures on our neuro-brain-mind grid.

In the above mind-diagram a mind, say, that of a human child sees
a dog and immediately activates both the concept of dog and FEAR.

The FEAR creates involuntary SHAKING in the motor memory channel.
The volitional, or will-center of the child's brain-mind must now
INTEGRATE conflicting desires:  to flee the dog, as FEAR demands,
or to banish FEAR and to pet the dog rather than running from it.

This theory of mind now running loose on the AI Web Matrix is the
only mind-model which qualifies as a Grand Unified Theory of Mind
and has a broad enough scope to explain emotions as well as will.
(If anyone objects to this assertion, web up or hold your peace!)