brainmapping :::NEW Ouchi illusion

Brent A. Busby claevius at wwa.com
Sun Nov 16 01:53:51 EST 1997

On 15 Nov 1997 09:53:06 -0800,
rcb5 at classic.msn.com ("Ronald Blue") wrote:

: Three of my students report that they see color
: when listening to music.   They had an unusual report on the Ouchi
: illusion.  First, they report seeing color in all three sizes of the Ouchi
: illusion.  Normally, only about half of the people report seeing some color
: and only in one of the different sized Ouchi illusions (1 1/2 inches, 3 inches
: and 6 inches).  Not everyone reports seeing movement.  Also the subjective
: color in Ouchi illusion would change if you move the illusion away from the
: students who see colors when listening to music.

Hello...

I'm not a neurologist, but I just happened to find this interesting.
I'm a keyboardist, and I've noticed for a long time that the tonal
characteristics of various synthesizers do suggest colors to my mind.
Despite the fact that synths are made to be programmable to create as
wide a variety of sounds as possible, nonetheless, despite the
variability of the sound output, every synthesizer brand and model
(and sometimes even individual units) have their own unique,
indentifiable tonal character that is usually different enough from
that of other synths that no matter what sound is currently being
programmed, the synth's inherent character can be identified on albums
as being a particular make and model by many keyboardists without
prior knowledge of the actual instrument's identity.  I've often found
that the basic tonal characteristic of the Ensoniq ESQ-1 suggests a
blue-green or aquamarine color to me.  The ARP 2600 evokes a deep
blood red.  Most thinner sounding digital units such as the Roland
JD-800 suggest a bland grayish-blue.  Minimoogs sound like sunlit gold
most of the time.  Also, as a drummer, I've found that the sustain of
ride cymbals will often suggest rising columns of smoke to me for no
reason that I can explain.

[  Brent Busby       | "...To simplify matters, something  that is thought ]
[                    |  to be nothing must have been  something if it made ]
[  claevius at wwa.com  |  something  out  of nothing,  even  though  we know ]
[  babusby at snds.com  |  something  can't  come  out  of  nothing  but that ]
[                    |  something,  which  had  come  from  nothing.   But ]
[  Rockford, IL      |  you're really just making something out of a whole ]
[  United States     |  lot of nothing..."  --Ed Conrad on `sci.astro'     ]