Looking for info on anti-aging hormone therapies

Stephen Black sblack at UBISHOPS.CA
Mon Nov 17 21:31:52 EST 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Einar Ottestad wrote:

> I'm doing some research on the various anti-aging hormone therapies
> currently being attempted, including Melatonin, hGH, and DHEA.  I'm
> curious about hearing the issue from both sides, pro-therapy and
> anti-therapy.  I've extensively searched the web without finding any
> really well-written, scientific, non-biased, articles on the topic
> that aren't hidden in "Buy-Me" propaganda.  Does anyone have any
> details or, rather, can point me in a direction where I could find
> useful information on the topic?  Also, if anyone knows of alternate
> therapies to the ones I've mentioned, please inform me.  Please
> e-mail me at:

I was curious about this myself, and I found the following to be a
thoughtful, informative and scholarly recent article (what more can you
ask for, anyway?):

Shomali, M., & Wolfsthal, S. (1997). The use of anti-aging hormones.
   Maryland Medical Journal, vol. 46, 181--

Their subtitle says it all: "Melatonin, growth hormone, testosterone,
and dehydroepiandrosterone: Consumer enthusiasm for unproven therapies".

-Stephen

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: sblack at ubishops.ca
Lennoxville, QC       "The great tragedy of Science--the slaying of a
J1M 1Z7               beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact"
Canada                -Thomas Huxley, Biogenesis and Abiogenesis, 1870
      Department web at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy