Psi and Quantum Mechanics

shan s_bentz at hamlet.uncg.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:18:46 EST 1997

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Howard Olson wrote:

>>	Are there any books available explicitly about Psi and Quantum
>>Mechancis? Please reply to the newsgroup or :
>>[snip]

Yeah, I'd bet there are a few books out there about psi and quantum
mechanics.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and suppose that you're
looking for "evidence" for the thesis that quantum mechanics can be made
to justify a belief in or pursuit of "psi".  Am I right?  If so, I'd
suggest you check out the following article (abstract included):

Source:  Skeptical Inquirer, Jan-Feb 1997 v21 n1 p37(4).

Title:  Quantum quackery. (application of quantum physics in
        parapsychology)
Author:  Victor J. Stenger

  Abstract:  Quantum physics is being applied to support the theory that
the physical universe is merely the creation of the cosmic mind. The
theory of quantum mechanics was originally developed to explain the
irregular behavior of atoms and light. Certain interpretations of this
model are now being used to provide seemingly scientific evidence for
various paranormal claims ranging from extrasensory perception to
alternative medicine.

Sorry if this seems a bit heavy-handed.  I believe it is important and
necessary to, by force of reason, disabuse the credulous of their
irrational beliefs.  Please let me know what you think of the article.  If
you can't find it, I'd be more than happy to email it to you (so you don't
have any excuse not to read it!).  After you get through with the article,
perhaps you should read Carl Sagan's _The Demon-Haunted World_...

All the best,
scb

~~~~~~~~~~~~
S. C. Bentz