pain picture

Ronald Blue rcb5 at classic.msn.com
Wed Nov 19 13:47:01 EST 1997

pain picture at http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~peprbv/pain.html
( I do not know if the site still exist.)
I was showing my class the  picture that causes about one in ten
people to report pain and they reported some interesting events.
Before you rush out and use this demo, it can cause seisures and
very bad migraine headaches.   So you should warn your class in
advance.

The Ouchi illusion had generated the suprise report of subjective
color, so the student were willing to report subjective color
from the pain picture.  I was surprised to receive this report.   There
seems to be a relationship between seeing color and reporting pain.
All three students who reported seeing color while listening to music
reported seeing color in the pain picture.  Not all reported pain, however.

The pain picture causes pain in my opinion due to wavelet interaction
and discrepant correlations on multiple rotational analysis.  Subjective
color is related to the flash frequency rate of on/off.  So the color
report while surprising is not surprising when you think about it from
the theoretical perspective of Correlational Opponent Processing.
COP theory is at http://www.enticypress.com

Ron Blue