Wavelet analysis of EEGs

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Fri Nov 21 14:03:17 EST 1997

In article <NEWTNews.880038457.3239.crosley at crosley.tcp.co.uk> ,
crosley at tcp.co.uk writes:
> Can anyone help?
>
>     If  all  of  this says I have got it  wrong  about  what
>     wavelet analysis does, please enlighten me! John Shaw.

I would think that EEGers could easily grasp the wavelet idea, because
the only fundamental difference between wavelet time series analysis and
Fourier analysis is that instead of sines and cosines, one uses wavelets
that are localized in time so as to capture local elements of the signal.

The PhD thesis of Piotr Durka contains figures such as the one you are
after, with time vs frequency plots of the EEG calculated using the
Matching Pursuit algorithm. I don't have the website address handy, but
try searching INFOSEEK or someplace for Piotr Durka, or wavelets AND EEG,
and you'll most likely find it.

Cheers,

Matt