Input needed on Penniston protocal

Charlie dadd2 at juno.com
Mon Nov 24 15:06:48 EST 1997

x-no-archive: yes

I've received the following evaluation while investigating how to
destroy my atypical depression.  I am not able to afford the alpha/theta
sessions as of yet and my insurance carrier does not recognize this form
of therapy as legitimate.   I hope to learn a considerable amount about
my mind while fighting my depression and neuro-feedback seems to make
sense to me.

It would be most helpful if I received input about my recent evaluation
and where the science of feedback may be helpful to me.  Any comments to
the following, or suggestions to sources of education on the internet
would be appreciated.  I will be following this NG for answers and
invite any email to:

Charlie            dadd2 at juno.com

     Mr. (PATIENT) was evaluated with a 20 channel qEEG for treatment
recommendations regarding a severe depression that has been drug
resistant but has responded to ECT.  The mental states recorded were:
l.eyes closed relaxed 2.  eyes open looking 3 Reading 4.  eyes closed
serial 7's 5.  eyes closed hyperventilation 6.  eyes closed light
strobe.  Remarkably little artifact was obtained and the patient was
coaxed into a fairly aggressive hyperventilation to see if he could
produce a synchronization in his brainwaves.
     This patient has a brain pattern of low amplitudes across all band
widths.  It is a pattern that has been associated with alcohol and drug
addictions as well as a hypervigilent mental state.  It is best
described as anxiety even though he doesn't appear anxious. Most
probably his two major depressions have been a reaction to or
overcompensation from this mental state.  In other words he is
collapsing out of a permanently desynchronized state into a state of
slowing that has the symptoms of depression, memory and concentration
problems.  It can also be conceived of as a very inefficient allocation
of mental resources.  Hyperventilation only slightly synchronized the
brain while the light strobing seemed to get a more pronounced effect
mainly in the frontals. He seemed to be able to focus briefly on a
reading task reducing theta/beta ratios but failed serial 7's becoming
disoriented as to where he was in his count.  His theta/beta ratios
worsened during this task compared to an eyes closed baseline.  One
therapist titled this an overfocused attention deficit problem.  Most
probably this is an inherited brain pattern that has worsened through
the years.  Initial feedback to him seemed to make a lot of sense to him
as to how he could become depressed from this brain pattern.
     Medications should be in the antianxiety area rather than
antidepressant, preferably something that will slow his brain without
sedating him.  Something like Klonipin, Busebar or GABA may allow a
slowing of this pattern without causing concentration problems.  20 to
30 alpha/theta session using the Penniston protocol are also
recommended.  This is an intense 4 per week for 3 weeks then reducing
the frequency to help him break this pattern. Following this protocol
the antidepression Rose protocol that works with the frontal lobes may
be helpful.