Head injury--serious or not?

Marcello Spinella marshmallow at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 23 23:46:33 EST 1997

mchowkwa wrote:

> Hello..
> Recently, an acquiantance of mine took a 3 inch binder (weighing approx 2-3
> pounds) and heaved it towards my head.  The binder made contact with the left
> side of my brain (the mathematical/logical side) and the acquaitance weighed
> approxiamently 100-110 pounds.  I am concerned that this impact may have
> caused some brain damage and effected my mathemtical logical abilities, and,
> more importantly could result in the falling of my grades.  Could this be
> possible or is this more of a psychological issue I have to get over?  Would
> my skull be protecting it?  The binder was heaved while my head was still, but
> was NOT able to displace my feet.  It merely contacted my head.
> thanx, please tell me if i am overreacting.

I'm a neuropsychologist who works with brain injured adults.

Probably no big deal.  Did you lose consciousness when you were hit?
Just because someting hit your head it doesn't necessarily mean that
your brain was damaged.  The brain floats in cerebrospinal fluid inside
the skull, which acts as a shock absorber.  Further, there are lots of
redundant connections in the brain so that losing a few doesn't
devastate it's ability to function.  It only begins to affect it after
several blows to the head over a period of time. (Consider all the blows
to the head a boxer takes and still is able to function).

Marcello Spinella