flourescence background

David M. Sherry dsherry at mail-gw.opt.uh.edu
Tue Nov 25 16:58:57 EST 1997

In article
<Pine.A41.3.96a.971123232241.21284A-100000 at dante05.u.washington.edu>,
Kevin Kanning <kanning at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone know of an available chemical blocking agent that lowers the
> background staining in texas red stains of neurons?

  Sodium borohydride is an excellent agent for reducing background
fluorescence in several different preps and applications. The exact way
you would use it will depend on precisely what type of labeling you are
trying to accomplish. For immunocytochemistry of isolated neurons we rinse
the fix off the cultures with PBS then deionized water, apply 0.5-1% NaBH4
at room temp for 1-2 minutes (dissolve NaBH4 in deionized water, NOT PBS);
rinse in water, then in PBS. The blocking agent is applied next, then the
primary antibody. Good Luck.

Dave Sherry

--
David M. Sherry, Ph.D.
College of Optometry
dsherry at mail-gw.opt.uh.edu

 To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research. (anonymous)