Input needed on Penniston protocal

Stephen Black sblack at UBISHOPS.CA
Mon Nov 24 21:39:13 EST 1997

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Charlie wrote:

> I've received the following evaluation while investigating how to
> destroy my atypical depression.  I am not able to afford the alpha/theta
> sessions as of yet and my insurance carrier does not recognize this form
> of therapy as legitimate.   I hope to learn a considerable amount about
> my mind while fighting my depression and neuro-feedback seems to make
> sense to me.
> <snip>
>
>      Mr. (PATIENT) was evaluated with a 20 channel qEEG for treatment
> recommendations regarding a severe depression that has been drug
> resistant but has responded to ECT <snip>

>      This patient has a brain pattern of low amplitudes across all band
> widths.  It is a pattern that has been associated with alcohol and drug
> addictions as well as a hypervigilent mental state.  It is best
> described as anxiety even though he doesn't appear anxious. Most
> probably his two major depressions have been a reaction to or
> overcompensation from this mental state.  In other words he is
> collapsing out of a permanently desynchronized state into a state of
> slowing that has the symptoms of depression...
<snip, snip, snip>

Sounds like classic psychobabble to me. For once the insurance company is
showing some common sense.

-Stephen
Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: sblack at ubishops.ca
Lennoxville, QC       "You are a smart boy, Einstein, a very smart boy.
J1M 1Z7         But you have one great fault. You do not allow youself
Canada          to be told anything."
                    -one of Einstein's teachers (Pais, 1988)
      Department web at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy