how many neurons?

George Barton barton at iname.com
Wed Nov 26 09:57:12 EST 1997

This is probably a bad place for my question but I've been through a lot
of newsgroups and couldn't have found one appropriate.

I'm working in a class where we are simulating the mental process. We've
gotten far enough to talk about neurons. We have some model that could
work. I'd like to know how many neurons could manage some easy tasks.
I've heard that some octopuses have not more than seventy neurons or so.
That's quite a few compared to human brain.
What I wonder about is what these octopuses can do with such a small
amount of units and how the number of neurons (and synapses) depends on
quality of a nerve system, if I could ever ask that way.

If anyone could help me, or just send some info where I can find more
about it, I'd be very grateful.

Sincerely,
  Jiri Barton