how many neurons?

Zen Faulkes zfaulkes at *SPAMBLOCK*bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 27 11:25:26 EST 1997

Hello,

Jiri Barton replied to Hannah Dvorak-Carbone:

> > Even the lowly nematode, C. elegans, has something like 300 neurons.

302, I think, in wild type animals.

> If you don't mind answering my next question; what can C. elegans do
> with regard to intelligence? Are those 300 neurons just enough for a
> random movement, or can the organism do something more, such as simple
> decisions?

   C. elegans can learn and remember quite well, thank you. I'd recommend
finding a few papers by Cathy Rankin, who's research is all about learning and
memory in this nematode. She mainly looks habituation and dishabituation of a
tap withdrawal reflex.

Zen Faulkes
Dept. Biology, McGill University