how many neurons?

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone hdvorak at
Wed Nov 26 21:15:26 EST 1997

In article <347C38C8.58B0 at>, barton at says...

>I've heard that some octopuses have not more than seventy neurons or so.
>That's quite a few compared to human brain.

Whoever you heard this from is extremely misinformed.  Octopuses have
perhaps the most highly developed brains of all invertebrates.  I would
guess that their neurons number at least in the millions.

Even the lowly nematode, C. elegans, has something like 300 neurons.
That might be someplace to start.  All the individual cells, including
the neurons, of C. elegans have been identified.

- Hannah Dvorak-Carbone

Hannah Dvorak-Carbone
Division of Biology 216-76
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125