how many neurons?

Jiri Barton jbar5010 at barbora.ms.mff.cuni.cz
Fri Nov 28 07:38:23 EST 1997

> As a quick reaction without much thought assume that correlational opponent
> processing via wavelets is true.  So any neuro impulse would have postive
> and negative qualities.  Also assume the minimun number of interactions that
> can occur for any neuron is a summation gaussian interaction is 30 (more
> likely 30^4 due
> to quantum mechanics).  Also assume that homeostatus is maintain as an
> average of the range of physical possiblities.  Then the number of memory
> interactions should approach 302 ^ 2 ^ 30 as an average.  That would put any
> IBM machine to shame.
>
> Ron Blue
Hmm, that's quite a big number. I see this fact lets the system open to
a whole lot of capabilities. There's also another question; that is why
isn't this animal  (and also other organisms) more intelligent then? I
don't know maybe it is and I just don't see it. I can guess that the
complexity of life of any organism, i.e. number of things it has to
respond to, is enormous. I can also guess some of the neurons are just
back-ups.

Yet another question comes to my mind. How different are neurons of
different organisms? I mean is there a difference in function because it
is clear that there's difference in number of synapses? It might be that
neurons of higher level organisms are less powerful because there're
lots of them. That would cut down some powers of those big numbers. It
also might be these neurons are more powerful because they have to
interact with more neurons.

I can see that the simulation of mental process that our teaches is
after is quite a wild thing. I can't really know what comes out of it
(but he's been doing it for thirty-two years though).

Jiri Barton