how many neurons?

Zen Faulkes zfaulkes at *SPAMBLOCK*bio1.lan.mcgill.ca
Fri Nov 28 11:00:19 EST 1997

Hello,

Rushi Bhatt wrote:
>>    C. elegans can learn and remember quite well, thank you. I'd recommend

> Isn't it true that a reflex action could in principle be accomplished with
> groups of relatively very few neurons (in biological systems), and, LTP
> has been traced to single synaptic junctions?
>
> With the above in mind, wouldn't it be an overkill to train a neural
> network of 300 neurons to do a single simple task?

   Remember, 302 neurons isn't just the number of cells devoted to
learning in C. elegans -- that's the animal's *entire* nervous system.
Not surprisingly, the animal uses it for many other things. You know,
little things like eating, moving, defecating, and so on.

Zen Faulkes
Dept. Biology, McGill University