Automatic / Controlled Processing

Barry Manor, presumably b.manor at unsw.edu.au
Sat Nov 29 10:30:18 EST 1997

Hello,

I am looking for opinions on biological concomitants of automatic and
controlled processes (psychological constructs as suggested by Schneider &
Shiffrin, 1977).

It seems that the orienting response, mismatch negativity and P300a, among
others, have all been linked with AUTOMATIC processing in the literature.
N200 and P300 ERP components have been associated with CONTROLLED processing.
Any comments on this?

In our lab (in Sydney, Australia) we have an integrated system which allows us
to record 32-channel EEG, eye movements, pupil area, galvanic skin
response and cardiac and respiratory rhythms concurrently.

Having collected a reasonable amount of data in a schizophrenia study, I am
now trying to come to grips with the (tenuous!) link between automatic and
controlled processing, working memory (e.g. Park & Holzman 1992) and
short-term visual memory (e.g. Raymond Knight et al., 1985).  I am trying to
link these concepts in with popular theories on hemispheric dysfunction in
schizophrenia and associated hemineglect (e.g. Michael Posner and Terrence
Early).

If anyone has expertise in this area or would like to discuss these issues
further, please contact me via email or post to this newsgroup.

Thanks,

        -Barry.

Barry Manor Physiologist Cognitive Neuroscientist Biomedical Engineer.
            PhD Student in Medicine @ University of Sydney, Australia.
            Generally Confused, Lover of Bicycles, Bartok and Beethoven.
  DoD #620  BMW R100GS 'Chuggy'.  Turns mountains into molehills.
    E-mail: b.manor at unsw.edu.au  (University of New South Wales).