Non-invasive Brain Stimulation

Brian Bjørn bbjorn at mdb.ku.dk
Sun Oct 5 03:05:24 EST 1997

Donald Beggs wrote:

> I am not an MD. My specialty is Physics. However, several years ago,
> while studing toward my BS, the idea occured to me that it should be
> possible to induce an electric current in the brain, using a time
> varying magnetic field. Upon searching Med-Line somewhat recently, I
> discovered some papers relating to experiments of this nature that were
> being carried out around the year 1985.
> More input is needed from the Physics community in this infant field.
> There should be some way to non-invasively stimulate the brain in a
> specific location, even into the deeper brain, i.e. the hypothalamus,
> etc.
> This research is very exciting, and will lead to very important
> discoveries and applications, but more interdisciplinary communication
> and cooperation is essential for results in the shortest possible time.
> Thank you.
> DB

In Denmark transcranial magnetic stimulation is used routinely in
departments of clinical neurophysiology. For instance it is used in
assessing the conduction velocity of central motor pathways in multiple
sclerosis patients.

If you try searching Medline for articles on 'transcranial magnetic
stimulation' you might find something interesting.

Dr Mads Ravnborg of the Rigshospitalet (Danish National Hospital) has
written a thesis titled 'The role of transcranial magnetic stimulation and
motor evoked potentials in the investigation of central motor pathways in
multiple sclerosis' - it also gives a brief introducation to the
theoretical background for the investigation. You are welcome to send me an
e-mail if you want Dr Ravnborg's adress.

Brian Bjørn