Wavelet analysis

crosley at tcp.co.uk crosley at tcp.co.uk
Sun Oct 5 17:53:42 EST 1997

In Article<60olm4$r8l$1 at fremont.ohsu.edu>, <jonesmat at ohsu.edu> write:
> From: Matt Jones <jonesmat at ohsu.edu>
> Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
> Subject: Re: Wavelet analysis
> Date: 29 Sep 1997 16:40:36 GMT
>
> In article <NEWTNews.875472140.6943.crosley at crosley.tcp.co.uk> ,
> crosley at tcp.co.uk writes:
> > Can anyone suggest an introduction to wavelet analysis
> >     with no, or minimum, maths?  I have Hubbard's book
> >     but find it a bit obtuse. I am particularly interested
> >     in EEG applications. John Shaw.
>
> Hi John,
>
> I would start here:
> http://www.public.iastate.edu/~rpolikar/WAVELETS/WTtutorial.html
>
> This is an excellent intro, that leads you by the hand through some of
> the basic ideas, and brings in the math very gently.
>
> A zillion more wavelet resources, spanning the whole range of difficulty,
> can be found at this amazingly useful page:
> http://www.amara.com/current/wavelet.html
>
> To get into wavelets for real, you will need some kind of reasonably
> powerful computer math package, like MATLAB (www.mathworks.com),
> Mathematica, IDL or Maple. Or you will need to be a decent programmer
> yourself. If you use MATLAB, there is a huge (and free) Toolbox available
> here:
> http://stat.stanford.edu/~wavelab/
>
> Wavelab contains all the basic tools for doing all sorts of wavelet
> applications, but more importantly for the beginner, has some tutorials
> (called Workouts) that take you through implementing the analysis.
>
> For Wavelets in EEG, the work that I am familiar with is from Piotr Durka
> & Katarzyna Blinowska, who have used Zhang and Mallat's Matching Pursuit
> algorithm to track EEG sleep spindles and epileptiform activity, and show
> the time vs frequency relationships in the data. Very nice. Their home
> page is at:
> http://www.fuw.edu.pl/~durka/med_ph.html
>
> Incidentally, Wavelab contains m-files for running Matching Pursuit.
>
> Now, there's one kind favor I'll ask of you:
>
> As you find new and interesting links to resources, tutorials
and
> software on your journey, please email them to me at the
address above,
> or post them here!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt Jones
>
> "Do waves wave goodbye when they leave the seashore?"
> -from "Brain Cell", a children's book.

     Thanks. I have found a Wavelet Digest and other info
     at www.wavelet.org. but its a different language out
     there! I just want to be able to understand some of
     the EEG papers, not actually apply it. I'm fairly
     conversant with Fourier analysis. I'll try the
     tutorial you recommend. John Shaw.