advice requested

stokely stokely at frii.com
Wed Oct 8 14:53:07 EST 1997

I recently received a B.S. in psychology and am seeking some advice.  I
am taking a year or so off from school in order to research possible
career directions and graduate programs.  My last year of undergraduate
study was my most difficult ever, yet i easily received a 4.0 gpa.  This
is due to the courses that I was taking, particularly a neuropsychology
class in which we dissected human brains, learned EEGs and ERPs, ran
sleep labs, and studied the effects of drugs and alcohol on the brain.
In four years of college, I had never had a course in which the subject
matter interested me as much as that class did.  Needless to say, I am
now trying to research careers in the fields of neuropsychology,
neurobiology, physiological psychology, neuroscience, etc. ( by the way,
can anyone explain to me the major differences in all of these different
areas - are they generally the same?)  Can anyone give me any advice as
I research my options?  Any good books to read?  What career options are
available to me?  Do I need more of a biological background than I have?
Is a PhD necessary?  What can I do with a masters in human
neuropsychology?  Are jobs in these areas easy to find, or will it
require relocation?  to a big city? What salary ranges can be expected?
Basically, I don't know anything other than the fact that studying the
brain, its processes, and the bizarre things that can go wrong with it
interested me and excited me more than any other area of study ever has!
Any advice is welcommed and appreciated!
					Thanks,
					Christi