Right Spinal Accessory Neuropathy

C. Furgason furgaso1 at pilot.msu.edu
Wed Oct 8 13:53:31 EST 1997

Through the findings of an EMG, I was diagnosed with neuropathy in my
right spinal accessory nerve about a year ago.  Also, deinervation of my
right upper trapezius was found.  This accounted for the loss of
strength and great amount of musclular atrophy in the right side of my
upper back.  About four months later, a follow up EMG showed some slight
healing, however, there was some mild abnormalties found in my left
upper trapezius.  The neuroligist said all findings appeared to be
consistent with neuralgic amyotrophy.

Now, about six months later, the condition appears to have improved
slightly in my right upper trapezius.  There has been no atrophy or loss
of strength in my upper left trapezius.  I have been on a regorous
strength training program for the past month or so.  The appearance of
atrophy is still present, however, the area is stronger.

My questions to anyone who has some insight on my condition are:

Is it possible this condition could be related to some other medical
abnormalty?

Is there any new treatments that might accelerate the repair of my
accessory nerve or at least stimulate re-inervation of my upper
trapezius?