Too Late to enter the Neuroscience field?

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Wed Oct 15 11:13:38 EST 1997

In article <344412ff.1894554 at news.earthlink.net> Will DeKroney,
willd at pobox.com writes:
>I am considering a change of career from Information Systems to
>Neurosciences.  I have always been extremely interested in the study
>of Brain disorders and I am trying to find out how long it might take
>to complete the educational requirements.
>
>Any information on the amount of time it might take to complete the
>coursework would be appreciated.

Of course, it depends on which field in Neuroscience you go into, and on
the particular requirements of the school you enter. But on average it's
about 5 years to finish a Ph.D, including about two years of
coursework/research and the rest of the time spent in thesis research.
That means if you're efficient, enthusiastic and careful about tackling a
project that is "too ambitious", you can maybe finish in three.

Then most disciplines require you to do one or more postdoctoral
fellowships before you can get a faculty job. This can take between three
and six years, but again it depends on you more than anything else.

Good luck. Your information systems background will probably come in very
handy.

Cheers,

Matt