Too Late to enter the Neuroscience field?

Will DeKroney willd at pobox.com
Wed Oct 15 20:20:58 EST 1997

On 15 Oct 1997 16:13:38 GMT, Matt Jones <jonesmat at ohsu.edu> wrote:

>In article <344412ff.1894554 at news.earthlink.net> Will DeKroney,
>willd at pobox.com writes:
>>I am considering a change of career from Information Systems to
>>Neurosciences.  I have always been extremely interested in the study
>
>Of course, it depends on which field in Neuroscience you go into, and on
>the particular requirements of the school you enter. But on average it's
>about 5 years to finish a Ph.D, including about two years of
>coursework/research and the rest of the time spent in thesis research.
> [snip]
>
>Good luck. Your information systems background will probably come in very
>handy.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Matt

Matt, thank you for the response.  From all the response I received I
have a pretty good idea of what is required.  Unfortunately I backed
my way into the I.S. field without even so much as an A.A. degree.  I
cannot stand classroom or lecture, though I recently found out why.
To say the least my attention span is awful, if I am reading a book
and hear a sound I am gone.  For some reason, over my 31 years no one
ever suggested I might have an attention problem.  In addition I have
no visual fusion between the right and left eyes so they see
separately and that causes concentration problems.

I have been lucky with the computers, for some reason I have been able
to get by using the 'hands on' method of learning.  I know that one of
the reasons I am so interested in Neuroscience is because of my visual
and attention problems.  I would like to understand what is going on,
or not going on for that matter.

Well anyway, thank you again for the information.

Will