Too Late to enter the Neuroscience field?

Matt Jones jonesmat at ohsu.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:19:37 EST 1997

In article <344568ca.4974202 at news.earthlink.net> Will DeKroney,
willd at pobox.com writes:
>I have been lucky with the computers, for some reason I have been able
>to get by using the 'hands on' method of learning.  I know that one of
>the reasons I am so interested in Neuroscience is because of my visual
>and attention problems.  I would like to understand what is going on,
>or not going on for that matter.

Hi Will,

There's a lot of reading in neuroscience, and good concentration and
attention skills are definitely a plus. However, just like anything else,
you have to make do with what you've got. So neuroscience won't be any
more difficult for you than any other academic career. Also, it is my own
personal belief that imagination and enthusiasm are *much more* important
than great study skills (mine suck). Despite the reading and classwork,
the most important thing in neuroscience education is "hands-on
experience" in designing and executing experiments and analyzing the
data. So if you're a good hands-on learner, you probably have an
advantage over many people who are better book learners. Again, like
nearly everything else, common sense and intuition are more useful in
neuroscience than perfect memory or sheer intellectual power (if there is
such a thing).

Cheers,

Matt