nerve message transmission. Help please.

Richard Norman rsnorman at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 19 09:33:33 EST 1997

In article <l03010d07b06f717d487e@[146.226.4.215]>, rhall at uvi.edu says...

>rlh comments:
>
>You seem to be mixing models.
>
>Action potentials are considered an all or none phenomena, but the release
>of neurotransmitter is certainly a graded reponse.  The only function of
>action potentials is to drive axonal currents (Iaxon) which ultimately
>depolarize the axon terminals leading to a graded release of
>neurotransmitter.  There are several models describing graded release on NT
>but all share several common features:

   <.... major snipping ...>

All this is very interesting, but the original poster said:
   "I am in need of some basic information on the way nerves transmit
    and receive information"
and obviously was unfamiliar with basic neurophysiology.

An introductory and oversimplified explanation is certainly appropriate
for this situation.  The truth (whatever that is) is always a bit more
involved.