nerve message transmission. Help please.

Richard Hall rhall at
Mon Oct 20 06:24:25 EST 1997

There are simplifications and oversimplifications.   Neur-sci at
is not the forum for oversimlifications.

At 2:33 PM +0000 10/19/97, Richard Norman wrote:
>In article <l03010d07b06f717d487e@[]>, rhall at says...
>>rlh comments:
>>You seem to be mixing models.
>>Action potentials are considered an all or none phenomena, but the release
>>of neurotransmitter is certainly a graded reponse.  The only function of
>>action potentials is to drive axonal currents (Iaxon) which ultimately
>>depolarize the axon terminals leading to a graded release of
>>neurotransmitter.  There are several models describing graded release on NT
>>but all share several common features:
>   <.... major snipping ...>
>All this is very interesting, but the original poster said:
>   "I am in need of some basic information on the way nerves transmit
>    and receive information"
>and obviously was unfamiliar with basic neurophysiology.
>An introductory and oversimplified explanation is certainly appropriate
>for this situation.  The truth (whatever that is) is always a bit more

Richard Hall
Comparative Animal Physiologist
Division of Sciences and Mathematics
University of the Virgin Islands